Members and guests present: Pat Argo, Cheryl Auman, Kathy Brown, Gertie Carroll, Cindy Chihasz, Sarah Dobson, Paula Dorn, Karen Hyatt, Debbie Mayer, Jean Vinson McMurtury, Sharon Spearman
Sarah welcomed everyone.
Pat led our devotion and prayer requests.
Special Announcement: Diane Hilley, at the Senior Center, loaned a Christian book to a guild member. Please return it to her as soon as possible.
· Linda Overholt will present quilting techniques for our September meeting. She will present at the beginning of our meeting and has to leave for another engagement. Please be on time so you won’t miss her presentation.
· QOV Retreat Quilts of Valor in Toccoa, GA is January 16 – 18. Please see Sarah Dobson ASAP if you are interested in attending. A $70.00 deposit is due ASAP (now) and $100.00 balance is due by December to reserve your spot. A basket raffle will be done at the retreat; fat quarters, notions, etc. Would like for guild to donate a basket. All proceeds from ticket sales will go toward money to buy supplies for more quilts.
· Abbeville Piecemakers received their first donation for QOVF Quilts of Valor Foundation in honor of a civilian serving with the military in Afghanistan. $50.00 was received. The consensus of the group was to purchase fabric for quilts; red, white, and blue. Sarah will purchase fabric at the Foust sale this weekend.
· Sarah Dobson is our QOV chairman. She recommends that when we turn in names of persons to receive a QOV that we make sure to get the following information:
Branch of Service
Date of Service
Special Medals or Honors
· New officers will take over in September.
· Dues of $20.00 will be due at September meeting.
· Foust is having a fabric sale Fri and Saturday – August 15 and 16.
· National Sew Day is February 7. This is a Saturday. Will be a work day to make quilt tops for QOV. Will try to hold the day at Little Mountain Presbyterian Church if we can use the Fellowship Hall.
· Need information to find out if there are any upcoming festivals or activities in downtown Abbeville this fall so we can sell raffle tickets for the quilt raffle. Paula Dorn volunteered to call the Chamber of Commerce to get information.
· Karen Hyatt is the chairman of our quilt for the raffle. She needs her volunteers to help get the quilt completed.
· Kathy Brown is collecting completed pillowcases and bowls for the December craft sale at the Meals on Wheels Area Agency on Aging Festival in Abbeville, December 6, 2014.
· There will be a special fabric sale on September 5th and 6th at “A Stitch in Time Again” in Orangeburg, SC. Special pricing of 50% off for their Anniversary Sale. Sharon Spearman will send us updates as they are available.
· Fund Raiser ideas: Karen Hyatt recommended that each member will bring a specific color fat quarter to each guild meeting. The fat quarters will be placed in a basket. Raffle tickets will be sold for $1.00 for each chance to win the basket of fat quarters. The consensus of the group was to start this at our September meeting. Our color choice for September: fall colors. Cindy Chihasz suggested a yard sale or White Elephant sale of fat quarters, notions, books, etc. that members will donate. All proceeds will go to the guild. This will allow members to clean out things they no longer use that may be useful to others. The consensus of the group was to plan this for our January meeting.
Karen Hyatt closed the meeting by reading information from the 1950’s of what a wife should be to her husband. She followed it with a version for the 90’s. She plans to make copies for the next meeting.
Sewing began after the meeting and much was accomplished.
Cindy Chihasz, Secretary